Olivier BAJARD – Meilleur ouvrier de France 1994
Les meilleures RECETTES des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France – Volume 1
Best Recipes - Editions GLD
- CHOCOLATE BISCUIT
- 1 3⁄4 oz egg yolk (2 1⁄2 yolks)
- 7/8 oz whole egg (1⁄2 egg)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 oz dark chocolate (70 %)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 1⁄4 oz egg white (2 egg whites)
- SHORT CRUST
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plus
- 3 tablespoons flour
- RASPBERRY PURÉE
- 5 oz raspberry purée
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 sheet gelatine or 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- PASTRY CREAM
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla seeds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 oz egg yolk (1 1⁄2 egg yolks)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- POPPY FLAVORED “DIPLOMATE” CREAM
- 7 oz pastry cream (see above)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon natural poppy flavoring
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 2 1⁄2 oz dark chocolate “grand cru” 70%
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 oz egg yolk (2 egg yolks)
- Scant 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 7 oz Céret cherries
- Raspberries Thin chocolate sticks
- 12 domes, each 2 1⁄2-inches in diameter
CHOCOLATE BISCUIT: Combine the egg yolk, whole egg and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and whip until thickened. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and fold into the egg mixture. Melt the chocolate to 120° F and incorporate along with the butter.
Beat the egg whites with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the salt until stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet, spreading evenly. Cook in an oven preheated to 300 °F for 8 minutes. Cut into 2 1⁄2-inch diameter rounds.
SHORT CRUST: Beat the butter, powdered sugar and salt together. Incorporate the flour and mix well. Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 300°F oven for 25 minutes. Cut into 3-inch rounds.
RASPBERRY PURÉE: Combine the raspberry purée with the sugar. Soak the gelatine sheet in a cold water, squeeze out excess water, then melt. Stir into the raspberry purée along with the water. Ladle 1 tablespoon of the purée into silicone domes, place in the freezer.
PASTRY CREAM: Combine the milk, cream, vanilla and half of the sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and cornstarch until thickened and light lemon yellow.
Pour about half of the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, then pour back into the saucepan with the remaining milk/cream and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
POPPY FLAVORED “DIPLOMATE” CREAM: Whisk the chilled pastry cream until smooth and stir in the poppy flavoring. Whip the cream and fold into the pastry cream.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE: Melt the chocolate to 120° F. Combine the milk and sugar, bring to a boil and pour over the egg yolk. Pour the warm milk/egg mixture over the chocolate. Whip the cream. Fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream.
The chef's advice
WINE RECOMMENDED : AOC Maury rouge • Harmonie entre douceur et fraîcheur, tanins fins • 2008 • 12°C Domaine des Soulanes • (66) MAURY